Tuesday, January 25, 2011

slowin' down the Jog . .

Morroco!
you're in a hurry ... got things to do ... knitting's going quickly .... oops!  there's hiccup!  no worries .. no one ELSe will notice ... just keep knitting ... maybe it will just kinda disappear into the stitches ..... afterall, there are 46 'correct' ones already on the hat ... just keep knitting ..... i've got til Friday before Meredith leaves - - WHAT?  Wednesday?  . . .  no need to follow the pattern, i've been knitting for YEARS so i can just make it work . . . .   WHAT?   WEDNESDAY? 
Rachael's dear friend Meredith is packing up for the adventure of a lifetime as she sets out in the morning for a semester of study abroad . . God's opened doors to use her in mighty ways, to show her little Alabama eyes things that will forever shape her future and make her an even stronger and more effective Godly young woman that He can use.  And being the mom/knitter/friend that i am, she HAS to have a hat or two to cram into her already overstuffed suitcase!  So i found a cute picture and opted to Wing it!   The result is really cute, or so i think . . but i did notice this little twitchy line in the back and have diagnosed the problem as a JOG in my knitting!  Who knew?   and even more so, who'd a thunk there was an explaination AND a remedy!   What WOULD we do without Google and Ravelry?



can you see the little "ravine" that
is runing from the top to the bottom
of the garter stitch band?    :(



here's what i SHOULD have done: "Knit the pattern as directed until you are ready to begin the first purled round of the brim. Remove your stitch marker that is marking the beginning of the round. Slip one stitch from left hand needle to right hand needle, purlwise with yarn in back. Replace stitch marker. Purl around (this will include the stitch that you slipped before). Remove your marker and once again slip a stitch from LH needle to RH needle. Replace marker. Knit around. You will continue in this manner, moving the start of the round over one stitch each time, until you have completed the number of garter ridges as directed by the pattern. On your next round you will be binding off stitches at the front, and from there you can work back and forth in garter stitch as normal. Now it’s nearly invisible where you changed from knit to purl rounds on the brim! No visible garter line!"

Next time!  :)  Meanwhile, i'm praying for Meredith as she finishes her packing today .... and for her family as they do that hard "parent thing" of staying here and watching her move on ....  and my heart is called back to the verses in Psalm that i know will be my prayer for her this semester:

Yet I am always with You;
You hold me by my right hand.
You guide me with Your counsel,
and afterward You will take me into glory.
Whom have I in heaven but You?
And earth has nothing i desire besides You.
My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strenght of my heart
and my portion forever!
Those who are far from You will perish;
You destroy all who are unfaithful to You.
But as for me, it is good to be near God.
I have made the Sovereign Lord my refuge;
I will tell of all Your deeds.
Ps. 73:23-28

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for the encouraging words and blessings. I am so thankful that you are in my life as my best friends mom but also as a sister! Thank you for the BEAUTIFUL hats, I will wear them proudly throught the semester.

    I love you!

    ReplyDelete