Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Increases that Count

Early on in my knitting i learned about 'Increases' . . they usually were spotted several rows too late .. and appeared in the form of HOLES that ... were NOT planned!  (remember those days?) ... however, over the course of time i learned that Increases could be Intentional ... could actually create a beautiful design in which stitch counts increase on PURPOSE .... with a PLAN ....

Previously we have talked about M1's (make 1) that could be as simple as a Yarn Over or Kfb, or even doing a simple backwards loop - however, these methods often leave a small hole when worked and can distort the visual line that is knit.  It's probably best to save these M1's for a yarn that is more textured so that they blend in thanks to the workings of the yarn itself!   Often you'll find that you need increases that mirror one another so that the subtle effects blend in with the pattern ... or you may choose to use them as a FEATURE of the pattern ... but planning is the key ... and placement is essential to how your finished piece will lay.  As a basic rule of thumb, it's best to leave your edges alone - - any modifications, additions or deletion of stitches should occur 2-3 stitches BEFORE or AFTER that edge stitch.


To make a Right Lifted Increase you will need to knit into the Right Side of the Stitch on the row immediately  BELOW where you are knitting now!  Once you use the tip of your needle to 'capture' that new stitch, slide it on to your left needle and Knit is as usual.


A Left Lifted Increase results when you knit into the stitch BELOW the row of stitches that you are currently working on.  In other words, knit the stitch on the present row and then capture the Left side of the Loop of the Stitch that is directly beneath the stitch you just completed.  The two examples used above, along with many other increase options can be found at Knitty.com.  I spent one afternoon this past summer sitting and knitting on swatches just to try out the different techniques.  Clearly, i'm open to ANYthing that will get me out of housework ... even swatching, if need be!  However, i will confess that these swatches were a great lesson in technique .. and much easier to see just exactly how and why certain things work - - and even why they don't in certain instances.   Another good source of Lifted Increase Pictures is here at The Daily Skein.  And don't forget YouTube .. who KNEW knitters could work video cameras and knit at the same time?

Part of my knitting journey has been the scrapbook of time and memories that i so often get to visit while i'm knitting and in the quiet of those moments i replay little snippets of my day .... things that happened along the way that i should have handled differently, or that brought me unexpected joy or surprize, projects that i find that would be perfect for someone, prayers that i have whispered - answers that i have received.  In some ways my knitting is a Journal in Yarn rather than pen and ink, and while i am weaving in those final thread ends i am reminded of some of my own Lifted Increases . . those moments in time when i knew that i was not alone, but that the Lord was my faithful companion each step of the way.  Much of my day is spent with an awareness of His Presence in my life as we go throughout the day BUT there are times when clearly He has been the One to CARRY me .... not walk beside me, or behind me to encourage me, or even before me to establish the path .... He Has Lifted me up over those places when i felt i couldn't go any farther ... His firm reassurance has been the inspiration for continuing .... His Vision, as He shares with me often in single steps at a time, keeps my eyes focused on the Mountaintop that awaits me rather than the valley i feel i am heading towards. 

Habakkuk 3:19 states it so eloquently and true:

The Sovereign Lord is my strength;
He makes my feet like the feet of a deer,
He enables me to go on the heights.


I lift up my eyes to the hills- Where does my help come from?
My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth.
He will not let your foot slip -
He who watches over you will not slumber;
Indeed, he who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep.
The LORD watches over you
The LORD is your shade at your right hand;
The sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon by night.
The LORD will keep you from all harm -
He will watch over your life;
The LORD will watch over your coming and going
Both now and forevermore.
Psalm 121

No comments:

Post a Comment