Friday, October 1, 2010

Garter Stitch Love

Red Hot Sweater Jacket,
a free Lion Brand Yarn pattern
do you remember those first early days when knitting was new and adventuresome ... sometimes it seemed incredibly frustrating as your fingers fumbled around with the yarn ... my attempts at coordination often left me feeling more like a 4 year old rather than a 40 year old!  BUT there was something "there" that continued to feed my creative (and competitive) side ... i was determined that i was going to learn to knit ... and it was going to be FUN ... dad gum it!

i'm afraid i've grown quite opinionated over the years about my knitting 'progress' and have often found myself judging my very own progress based on "what" i am knitting at the moment.  case in point:  unless the project i am working on now is harder/more complicated/takes longer than the one previously, then it's not really a big 'deal' and i'm not really learning much ....  now, i didn't say that my ideas were good ones .... or even smart ones ... i'm just saying that my ignorance is often more prevalent than even i realize at times!

the new kohl's opened this week and i actually paid money for a swing style sweater that is knit ... and it's all in  .............  GARTER STITCH.  yep!  that's right .... i paid for a garter stitch garment ... on purpose .... (but it WAS on sale and i did have an additional 30% off!) .....  and i LOVE it!  it has made me stop and realize just how far i've come from my early days of garter stitch scarves where i felt like it took 6 years just to knit one scarf .... or those amazing garter stitch washcloths, whose monotony has actually become rather therapeutic in nature ..... oh my soul!  i need for it to be cooler so i can wear my new sweater ... with pride .. and be inspired by the basic and simple knit stitch.  Period.  The End ......

as i stood and admired the 'craftsmanship' of this knitted (by machine no doubt) garment my heart was pricked, actually, to think about another first love of mine .....  i can still remember the day that the Lord called me as an 18 year old senior in high school ... i remember how compelling the conviction of that moment was, i remember the urgency of coming and confessing and seeking forgiveness and longing for restoration from Him,  i remember waking early with a renewed sense of wanting to learn EVERYTHING about Him because i was so in love with Him .... His Word took on a new meaning, quiet times were precious though i fumbled around in some awkward moments when i approached Him..... everything....  EVERYTHING seemed to be heightened ... time with Him, time with His children, time in His Word, time in His Presence ....  really rather simple ..... basic knit stitch investments .... i guess i could say those early days were Garter Stitch Love ....

and i'm afraid i'm now so busy 'doing' in order to demonstrate my love that if i'm honest i've lost some of that zeal ... and luster .... and honest innocence in pursuing Him and Him alone.  Who said that the Garter Stitch was a bad thing (i know, i know ... i actually am guilty of that mindset.) 

Matthew 11:28-29 simply says:
"Come to Me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest!
Take My yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart,
and you will find rest for your souls.  For My yoke is easy and my burden is light."   

SO ........ Here's the knitting lesson that the Lord has shared with me today:

"Hey Ginger, come sit and knit over here with Me when you are too tired or worried and don't think you want to go any further, and I promise you that I will teach you, I will GIVE you rest!  Here! ... Wear my Garter Stitch Sweater/yoke and Watch and Learn from Me:  See!  I AM Gentle and Humble - really very basic!  With this mindset Ginger, you too will find the rest and fulfillment you are seeking in everything and from everyone but from Me... and,  when you do turn to Me you will recall those "1st love moments" when you relinquished control and allowed Me knit your early days - - remember?  Knitting is supposed to be "FUN" - - and it was as you submitted to My design for the yarn and needles of your every day. Oh!  and one more thing:  My Garter Stitch yoke fits perfectly . . and you look so pretty when you stand tall and allow your shoulders to relax and reflect your trust in Me!"    Love, Your Father!

No comments:

Post a Comment