Monday, May 23, 2011

there's no internet in the trees . . .

When i was much younger i LOVED climbing trees ... i loved the solitude - even then - of being able to steal away for a few minutes or hours and see things from a different perspective. Those strong branches provided limbs that i could lean on, could hang from, could swing and dangle and never doubt their strength.  In the Spring and Summer the foliage was so full that i could hide and simply sit .... albeit, i couldn't sit too long because i was, even then, a very nosey child and SO didn't want to miss anything fun that might be going on in the front yard!

it would seem that these past few weeks have been Tree Sitting Time for me .... not so much in the literal sense, but so VERY much in the steal away and just "be" type of setting.  Taking things in ... not really putting things out ..... the ebb and flow of every day - - feeling more like things are ebbing AWAY rather than flowing back .... but still, i'm sitting ... and watching .....

i've been quite intrigued by all the downed trees that have been left behind from the tornado ... saddened and overwhelmed at the amount of destruction and the ability to obliterate things that fall within its path, and yet highly curious about that same basic structure .. the vastness of the root ball when it has been yanked from the very dirt that has anchored it for more years than i have probably been!  often able to see deep into the hollow of the trunk . . it would have appeared to be a strong, healthy tree and yet now i see that it was empty and decaying from the inside out .... [and that's a whole OTHER life lesson and picture, yes!]

i've always loved trees ... and have found on more than one occasion references throughout Scripture that apply the characteristics of a tree to the many facets of a Christian's life.  If you look at Psalms, Chapter 1, you'll see that the psalmist refers to the benefits and attributes of "that person (a Christ follower/disciple) is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither—
whatever they do prospers."

John 15:5 explains the benefits of a strong Tree in my life:  "I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing."

The need to be connected ... to find shelter .... to draw strength in simply "being" .... in today's hectic pace it's hard to reconcile such a thought process, and yet my spirit has been pulled to such a lull ... and to find the following devotion literally falling into my lap like the Autumn leaves that gently drift along my path ... is no coincidence, but further shade and shelter from my Tree of Life . . .

As you sit quietly in My Presence, remember that I am a God of abundance.  I will never run out of resources;  My capacity to bless you is unlimited.  You live in a world of supply and demand, where necessary things are often scarce.  Even if you personally have enough, you see poverty in the world around you.  It is impossible for you to comprehend the lavishness of My provisions:  the fullness of My glorious riches.

Through spending time in My Presence, you gain glimpses of My overflowing vastness.  These glimpses are tiny foretastes of what you will experience eternally in heaven.  Even now you have access to as much of Me as you have faith to receive.  Rejoice in My abundance - - living by faith, not by sight.
And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:19

For we live by faith, not by sight.
2 Cor.  5:7

Time to climb down out of my tree house .... back on the web ... back into life .... and watch and see all that God has planned .....  always connected to Him, regardless of what i think, feel or see ... much less understand!  Time to let my faith grow .. isn't that what Spring is for?

No comments:

Post a Comment