Thursday, May 26, 2011

Scars . . Or Signs of Character

Who is a God like You, pardoning iniquity
and passing over transgression
for the remnant of His inheritance?
He does not retain His anger forever,
because He delights in steadfast love.
He will again have compassion on us;
He will tread our iniquities underfoot.
You will cast all our sins
into the depths of the sea.
Micah 7:18-19




I'd like you to meet Spot, the Wonder Pup! He's just the sweetest puppy ever ... So amiable.. And quite the people person.... He never meets a stranger and responds so very eagerly to even the slightest nod of approval or hint of acceptance. The flip side is that even the remotest tone of dissatisfaction can crush his little spirit and leave his little spotted face so downcast and crushed.

While knitting on Spot and several other little tot toppers these past weeks I have found myself creating personalities for them.... And wondering how others perceive me based on time they spend with me. Am i shy and reserved or do I bombard a room with no regard for anyone else? Does my face light up when someone walks into a room - like Spot would more than likely do - or do I simply continue in my own little world like a Siamese cat? Have I allowed pieces of my past to redefine who I am ... As opposed to who I used to be?

Do you suppose that when you walk through the front door that a dog like Spot would sink down in embarrassment because he had a patch on his face that marred his appearance and might make you judge him or think of him in a less than favorable light? Think he's spent countless hours in research or hundreds of dollars in consultations trying to have this spot removed, or bleached or covered over by the latest make up ... Or has he come to terms with his unique appearance and simply learned to rest in the reality that he is loved AS IS!

Sara Groves has a song that talks about all the scars we carry .... All the bad things, the hurts, the disappointments ... That have left Marks on each of us as well. And it is only in our daily journey and discipline that we learn to view the Marks not as Scars but rather distinctive signs of Character!

When I stand before the Lord will I be Spot the Wonder Dog? Will He view me as one marred and marked by my sins and failures or will i be seen as a child of His that has been redeemed and cleansed ... Washed by the blood of the Lamb and wearing a robe that categorizes me as PERFECT because His eyes see love in a much different way than mine! His perspective doesn't keep score of the scars .... But graciously acknowledges the signs of Character that reflect His heart and ways.

My sins are forgiven... And forgotten....

A remnant redeemed ....

Unashamed

Welcomed Home with open arms!


No comments:

Post a Comment