Wednesday, March 30, 2011

One skein wonders

If I asked for true confessions right now how many of you could/would raise a hand to being guilty of buying single skeins of yarn? You know the ones:  they are those textural skeins that scream your name when you first walk by.  They are those beautiful colors of the rainbow that pull you in to follow .. that inspire you knit frantically until you reach the end.  They are those EXPENSIVE "dreams" that finally are marked down and are justifiably affordable. We all have them in our stash . . The colors and textures that gripped our heart the moment our fingers first made contact .. There was something about the way the vibrant color conjured up the perfect scarf, or the friend's face that came to mind when you first spied the decadent textures -the softness that reminded you of sinking into a a pool of whipped cream, or perhaps the power of that "clearance" sale was more than your rational self could walk away from . . It still amazes me how quickly that ball of string can get all knotted up around my heart!
So... Here we are now with a beautiful assortment of single skeins.... Sitting so admirably, albeit so very lonely.... Just waiting for THAT pattern to reveal it's potential ... And who better to help than Judith Durant, author of many versions of One Skein Wonders!

She has spennt numerous years collecting patterns from local yarn shops that highlight a certain yarn, perhaps based on weight, or determined by cost, based on collections and assortments that any true knitter has .. We call it our STASH in order to substantiate such mentality. With any one of these books you can begin to make some serious headway into actually turning your collection into keepsakes . .

 Those single skeins . . Never intended to overtake the stash, but ... over time, they did! Much akin to those "little" sins in my heart . . There is no magic number of sins I have to accumulate before I head to confession, no jackpot for reaching the "grand total" . . . It was a single sin that broke His heart. It was a single act of disobedience. Just one bad attitutde, an individual choice to do it my way rather than His . . And when you add them all up my mind is confronted with the "Stash" of excuses I've also conjured up in order to justify my selfishness... My lack of faith ... My continual disobedience. HOWEVER, God has a single mentality as well. He determined from the beginning of time that His one and only Son would be my Savior. He decided that One death on a cross would pay the penalty for each of us... ONE! One resurrection to ensure One eternity. A single life-consuming act of grace and mercy so that my life would forever be dominated by continual acts of love and trust ... That's all He asks.

Jesus said in John 14:6 -
"I the THE way, THE truth and THE life.  No man comes to the Father, except through Me."

Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.   Prov 3:5-6

The eternal God is your refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms.  Duet 33:27

You will seek me and find me, when you seek Me with all your heart.  Jer 29:13

His single compelling act of love and sacrifice truly is the ONE Skein Wonder that binds His heart to mine .. with an unslipping knot ... that will never let me go!

No comments:

Post a Comment