Monday, March 7, 2011

Celtic Cables

March is one of my favorite months of the year .... mainly because it contains one of my favorite holidays . . St. Patrick's Day!  and why:  because it's GREEN !!!!  and ANY holiday that is GREEN is one of my favorites!!!  (works well for Christmas too!) . . and although i don't really know that much about the traditions of St. Patrick's Day i know that it comes from Ireland .... and Ireland makes me think about Celtic knots ... which remind me of cables in knitting ... and thus, March's scarf is going to be cable related!

However, if you're not quite ready to tackle a true cable just yet, why not consider this cable . . with a twist!  no extra cable needle required . . and it's such an easy and memorizable pattern  .. portable ... a gentle way to ease into something that's not that scary ... but this will certainly getting your thinking in a more 'twisted' perspective!


For this scarf you'll need:
1 skein of Moda Dea Washable Wool - Moss
Size 9 needles

Cast on 38 stitches using a Cable Cast On (see bottom note for directions)

Row 1: (WS) *K3, P2, * repeat to last 3 stitches, K3.
Row 2: *P3, K2,* repeat to last 3 stitches, P3.
Row 3: Repeat Row 1.
Row 4: *P3, K2twist,* repeat to last 3 stitches, P3.

Repeat until scarf is desired length. (I opted for a neckwarmer length - approximately 28"). Bind off using a Back Loop Bind off. [Knit 2 together and Slip stitch back onto the Left Needle. Continue K2tog and slipping back onto Left Needle until 1 stitch remains. Cut yarn and pull through the final loop]
 
 
  
Cable Cast On: Begin with a slip knot and knit into this 1stitch, slipping this new stitch BACK onto the Left Needle.Insert Right Needle BETWEEN these 2 stitches and knit a NEW stitch, slipping this one back on the Left Needle. Continue making New Stitches by knitting between the Last 2 stitches on the Left Needle until the desired number of stitches are loaded on.






K2twist: Knit 2 together but do NOT slip the stitches off the Left Needle. Knit into the 1st stitch now and then slip both stitches off.




 
i LOVE this Celtic knot . . i read that these knots were often used to teach spiritual lessons to a pagan society in a means that was tangible . . concepts that they could 'touch' in order to understand ... and this particular knot often symbolized the Trinity ... the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost . .  and perhaps that's why i'm intrigued by the cable concept in knitting .... they look like a 3 ply braid .... without ever having to learn how to handle and braid 3 distinct and individual strips!


i also love the concept of no beginning or end . . .  the continuity of such a relationship in my life has quite a calming effect on my heart.  To know that God knew me BEFORE i was ever created . . He knit me together in my mother's womb . .  He promises to be with me each step of my way in this daily life i live . . and He is waiting to spend eternity with me because there was a day when i accepted the gift of His salvation through His Son's death on a cross . . To be absent from this body is to be present with the Lord!  No in-between time, no awkward transitions or waiting . . days here on earth that overlap and intertwine, mixing my life with His Love . . a unique braid of events that all reflect His leadership and compassion ....

James 1:2-3 paints a beautiful braid of reality for me to ponder:

Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of my kinds,
because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.

it's not a matter of IF trials and bumps in the road are going to occur .... it's simply a matter of WHEN ... and despite the twists and turns of my day i also know fully well that He is "included" in all that happens ... that God's Presence and leading is like the 3rd ply of my braid.  So to try and imagine a good thing .. or a bad thing .. that is occurring in my life withOUT His full awareness is impossible ... because He IS in the midst of it all!  He IS wrapped around it and in it and through it ...

Because Your love is better than life, my lips will glorify You.  I will praise You as long as i live, and in Your name i will lift up my hands. My soul will be satisfied as with the richest of foods;  with singing lips my mouth will praise You.  On my bed i remember You; i think of You through the watches of the night.  Because You are my help, i sing in the shadow of Your wings.
My soul clings to you, Your right hand upholds me.
Ps. 63: 3-8

No comments:

Post a Comment