Monday, September 13, 2010

Confessions of a Knitting Snob

are YOU a snob? or are you a Scaredy Cat?  do you consider yourself an Afficiando of Fine Yarn .... or a Hoarder (you know they've got their TV show now!) ..... guess it's really a perspective thing when you get right down to it and yet, there really is a bottom line for all knitters:  what you do with your yarn is your own business, BUT unless we are sought out for our 'wisdom and counsel' we really shouldn't pass judgment how anyone else chooses to use their yarn.

Now, i know that's hard to do at times... acrylic is scratchy and pretty much stays right where you knit it ... no amount of blocking will ever transfrom it into the shape you WISH it was supposed to be!  [so WHY IN THE WORLD would anyone EVER use it!]   And that single skein of gorgeous cashmere will NEVER be enough to make a complete sweater despite the hours you spend pouring through the books for the perfect pattern.... so why even BUY it, i ask you?   I find myself guilty at times of 'judging' how someone else uses a particular yarn or pattern (like i think i could do any better) ....  and looking back on things, i realize that the time wasted in 'judging' took away from my own personal time for knitting and creating and enjoying the gift and process.

once again the parallel of my knitting to my own walk with the Lord is jumping out at me .... in my 50 years on earth i don't remember one time that the Lord has called in sick .... or posted notice that He would be out of the office on vacation ....and thus needed ME to take over for a while!  God has called me to fellowship, and have a relationship with Him .. one that is based on obedience and trust and REST in Him .... He is opting to be concerned about my well being, my daily plans and provisions .. and even my knitting time.  He has ordered my steps, longs to carry my burdens and really has no need for me to help Him maintain the schedule of the world.... however, when i do feel so compelled to chime in my own judgements and opinions i'm sure He just nods His head and simply waits for me to finish .... He is a gracious Father who clearly has an incredible sense of humor when He created me ....and based on the way my body is 'forming' now at 50, He clearly is mastering His purl stitches more so than His knit ones  [ who KNEW skin could DO such a thing!]  He LONGS for me to find rest in Him .... that's why He's God ... and i'm NOT!   Resting in Him is not something that He designed to be hard to do .... I am the one that makes the KNOTS in the skeins of time He has given me!

Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me.
Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how
Learn the unforced rhythms of grace.
I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you.
Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.     
 (Matthew 11:28-30, The Message)

But who are you, o man, to talk back to God? 
Shall what is formed say to Him who formed  it, "why did You make me like this? 
Does not the potter have the right to make out of the same lump of clay some pottery
for noble purposes and some for common use? 
(Rom 9:20-21)

So, take your yarn ... make a sweater!  knit a hat ... a washcloth - - or simply a swatch!  Why not frame that sumptuous skein of silk - it IS a work of art in and of itself, is it not!  it's Your stash  ....  don't judge it ... enJOY it!

No comments:

Post a Comment