Friday, February 18, 2011

My Heart, My Home

Methinks it is a token of healthy and gentle characteristics,
when women of high thoughts and accomplishments love to sew knit;
especially as they are never more at home with their own hearts
than while so occupied.  ~Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Marble Faun, 1859

i just LOVE the idea of being at home with my own heart!  To be able to find that one thing (i..e, knitting) that can "occupy" my mind and yet calm my heart.   That one thing that is a reflection of things that i can't always convey .. .. until my hands connect with the yarn and needles ..... and the finished product becomes a tangible expression of me ... what i long to say but can't always get out .....

yesterday i received a sweet little "prize" from a friend, simply to say "thanks" and "have a good day".  it was a cute little bag that contained a COLD diet coke, some crackers and some M&Ms!  Nothing huge, or extravagant .... Nothing fancy or incredibly expensive ... and Yet, this simple act of kindness, shared with a smile on her face, reflected a kindness from within, that spoke VOLUMES in a little bitty bag tied with a cute curly bow!  VOLUMES because she shared her heart!

it's THAT connection . . the heart . . the contentment in the small things .... the gracious and hospitable acts of instinctively sharing . . that screams of True Beauty!  In a society filled with obsessions over appearance we sometimes forget that God looks on the heart ... and that for Him, Beauty is born from within.  Beauty is displayed in those 'gentle characteristics' that allow a woman to maneuver through the day with a grace and ease that comes from contentment born from time with Him. Such "time" bears fruit in the form of a charm and mystique that few actually tap into. Just as our confidence grows as we sit and knit and build our "strength" up by knitting more and more, and trying new things as we learn them, so the Beauty of being one of His daughters flourishes and blossoms even, when we acknowledge our "family connection" to Him and submit to His nurturing and direction.

Yet i am always with You;  You hold me by my right hand.
You guide me with your counsel, and afterward You will take me into glory.
Whom have i in heaven but You?
And earth has nothing i desire besides You.
My flesh and my heart may fail,
but God is the strength of my heart
and my portion forever.
Ps. 72:23-26

to be "THAT Girl", a 'woman of high thoughts and accomplisments', who shares a coke and smile through my knitting .... who gives my heart without reservation rather than retreating up on the shelf out of fear of being hurt or laughed at . .. THAT is my prayer!  That is my goal!  To know His Peace ... to have a heart that reflects His touch . . . . . to be able to hum along with Him as i continue to be Amazed at how He loves me!

The Lord your God is with you,
He is mighty to save.
He will take great delight in you,
He will quiet you with His love,
He will rejoice over you with singing.
Zeph. 3:17

No comments:

Post a Comment