Friday, February 4, 2011

Friday Funnies

"...Knitters just can't watch TV without doing something else.

Knitters just can't wait in line,

Knitters just can't sit waiting at the doctor's office.

Knitters need knitting to add a layer of interest in other, less constructive ways."
                                              
— Stephanie Pearl-McPhee


It started sleeting while we were at school yesterday .... and for our mild mannered, warm weathered environment this is NOT a good thing!  Everyone seemed to go into a flurry of frustration and worry - parents called about school getting out early because "it's going to freeze and THEN what are you going to do with all those children?"  [because you don't think the administrators aren't watching the weather - - or that they WANT to spend the nite with 1,000 children that aren't their own?] .... but anyway ...

the whole world seemed to decide to close down at 2:15 ... and EVERYONE tried to head home via the grocery store because that IS the way of the South.  Must buy up all the milk and bread on every shelf in order to hunker down for the blizzard that is bound to be approaching ......

UNLESS you're a knitter!   I knew in my heart of hearts that we had some bread .. and little bit of milk ... but my main focus was . . . . did i have enough YARN in my stash to ride out the storm .... i was calculating the amount of sleet and early dismissal time against the time to complete an afghan ....  not really sure if i should be calling upon my calculus or my physics backgrounds to derive the correct answer .... but just to be on the safe side, i stopped off at Hobby Lobby and stocked up!  Only a knitter ... and their High Fiber regimen!

You know you're a knitter when you buy purses based on the overall size rather than the aesthetic value it is fashioned for - bottom line:  how much yarn will it hold and does it come with some neat compartments to hold my needles, my stitch markers and an extra pair of scissors?  Is it adequate enough for small projects like socks or baby hats ... or does this have the potential for my cell phone AND  the front of a sweater in progress?

Knitters can't Just Sit or stand in a line and do nothing ... that's time that could be used for a scarf ... turning the heel of a sock .... a new little bib .... Knitters are multi-tasker poster children!  They know how to fill EVERY moment of time .... and yet enjoy the quiet, pleasant moments spent in the company of friends WHILE knitting them a scarf!  Seems to me that everyone should want a knitter as a close friend!

Perhaps all this sitting and knitting has also afforded a profitable introspective into matters of the heart.  i know it has for me;  time to sort through things, filter out the 'not so good' events and help put things into a right perspective.  Time to find contentment in the quiet and allow the Lord to whisper to me .. and actually be heard as He speaks words of hope and promises of peace. To seize those rare snippets of solitude and turn them into rich nuggets of encouragement .. savoring the Security that grows when His Word is planted in my heart and then stirred  .... recalling verses that remind me that "He gives strength to His people; the Lord blesses His people with peace." 

Knitting gives me time to talk out loud and to remind Him that i am listening .... "But i trust in Your unfailing love;  my heart rejoices in Your salvation.  I will sing to the Lord, for He has been good to me."  And you have to know that God truly loves you when He promises He'll never leave you ... even WHEN you sing to Him!  :)


the Best Snowball EVER !
 I think i'll go make my own version of a snowball ... and as i'm rolling it around i'll ponder on the blessing that the Lord shared with Moses ... and me!   (see, still multi-tasking!)
The Lord bless you and keep you;
The Lord make His face shine upon  you and be gracious to you;
The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment