Monday, June 20, 2011

Shoveling Snow into my Sand Pail

it's monday .... June 20th .... and it's about a million degrees outside!  at least that's what it feels like to this city girl who is sporting a spray tan because i'm too much of a wimp to do the whole "lay out and bake like a pound of bacon" any more!  remember those days, though?  all the bad things like the gallons of baby oil we used in placed of SPF 900 sunscreen?  all the "solar" blankets that we laid on  (roasted on) when we laid out?  climbing out on the rooftop at school .... or laying out in the bed of a truck on the way BACK from laying out on the beach all day?

and did i mention that i have NEVER been able to keep a "bronze glow" about me?  i burn .... i peel ... i start over!  so, rather than spend any more time chasing the elusive tan so that i look like george hamilton ... i'm opting to keep my pale and pasty self inside, where it is much cooler .. and knit WINTER things!  Hats .... baby booties .... game day accessories for the little ones to get geared up for some winter athletics!

thus ... my version of a Hello Kitty hat ... and i'm working on the CUTEST little elephant booties .....  and a elephant hat to match .... and the Tiger Paw hat's in the works as well, so that EVERYONE stays warm ... and happy!

surveying the obvious circumstances and opting to find the bright (cool) side of things is one of the coping factors for this summer ....  thinking SNOW globes in the midst of the water sprinklers in order to stay cool .....  knitting wool while wearing shorts and flip flops ......  thinking COOL while 'glistening' as only a true southern belle can do!

this same mindset has worked its way, yet again, into my quiet time and played out in my heart as well!  i am LOVING, despite the discomfort at times, God's promise to equip me for whatEVER comes ... even if He knows i won't be giggling and doing jumping jacks about it ... He prepares me ... IF i simply choose to listen, obey and rely on Him.   Last week i read the book of Hosea .... talk about breaking my heart!  God asked Hosea to marry a woman that he KNEW was going to be unfaithful to him .. and out of obedience, Hosea did just that ... and he got his heart broken multiple times!  BUT Hosea loved his bride, fought for her, forgave her and committed to building a life with her!  sound familiar?  perhaps the perfect picture of how God feels for me?  He has been fully aware of my shortcomings, my verbal dissertations and soliloquies of repentance ... and then my willful disobedience and He CONTINUES to forgive and pardon and afford me yet another "do over" .....  which lesson i am then fortified with and able to "apply" when a friend does something that hurts ....  finding the blessing in the midst of the brokenness .....

truth in action!  Finding the "cool" in the midst of the heat .....  being able to APPLY because i have seen it demonstrated ....   not being overcome with the negative of the moment, but finding the proverbial "silver lining" ..... sitting on the hot beach of my day and filling my sand pail with Snow Balls of blessings!

have you ever read Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers?  If my house ever burns down, i'm grabbing my Bible and my copy of Redeeming Love ... it is one of my all time favorite books EVER ... and God continues to use that story to prick my heart ... i pray that i can be more like Hosea in my love for others ....   my forgiveness towards others ..... the heart and mind of Christ!

maybe i'll grab my book ... my knitting .... and turn on some Christmas music just to cool the place off a bit!

"Turn to Me now, while there is time!  Give Me your hearts.  
Come with fasting, weeping and mourning.
Don't tear your clothing in your grief; 
instead, tear your hearts."


Return to the Lord your God, for He is gracious and merciful.
He is not easily angered.  
He is filled with kindness and is eager not to punish you.
Joel 2:12-13

No comments:

Post a Comment