Monday, April 4, 2011

Fancy Feathers

today's scarf addition to the "String of Purls" tab features a very traditional and old lace pattern, the Feather and Fan. This option seemed perfect for all the lush new greenery that is popping out everywhere... The empty spots of winter are now blanketed with blooms and blossoms of color, fans of freshness that inspire a new mindset and outlook....encouraging optimism to replace some of the cold gloom that so easily creeps in.

I'm still doing my stash diving and found these 2 skeins of silk blend that had been pushed back on the shelf... The colors are two of my favorites and the weight will make for a perfect spring accessory rather than wearing a necklace. Simple... Bright... And yet another perfect gift option just in time for Mother's Day!

The Feather and Fan pattern is easily memorized AND modified. Some versions recommend that row 2 is knitted rather than purled, which creates a bit of texture and/or visual interest, but I felt like the colors of this particular yarn would be highlighted enough on their own, and that "smooth" supported the colors rather than fighting against them.

As I was knitting it seemed a rather narrow scarf... All scrunched up.. BUT when I started the blocking I was pleasantly surprised at the bursts of space scattered between the feathers and the fans! Isn't that just how life is too? So busy with all the hustle and bustle of each day, each row, each minute or stitch, that we so often miss the magnificent design that the Lord has orchestrated for the day! I know that I avoid the "blocking" process more often than not because I don't want to wait... Because i think I have better ideas about what i want and what lies ahead... Because it hurts to be pulled and tugged into submission so that His Glory can and will be revealed ... And yet without this crucial step the knitting of my liferemains crumpled, the pattern is NOT highlighted and I am yet another victim of ineffectiveness because of my unwillingness!

Be silent before the LORD, all humanity, for he is springing into action from his holy dwelling.    Zec 2:13
 
For the eyes of the LORD range throughout the earth to strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to Him.        II Chron. 16:9

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment