Wednesday, April 20, 2011

An amazing new bad habit . . .

Despite the extensive length of "stupid" that threatened to define my current status I have made a rather savvy discovery that has the potential to inspire ... Or hi-jack my knitting, depending on my ability to stay focused!

A few weeks back I made a rather "big girl" purchase .... I "invested" in an iPad. And since that time I have found a TON of "justifications" that could rival any of the reasons i've ever used for buying yarn and stashing it!

The latest, and strongest case, for such technology is the capability to download knitting magazines! They can be stored in a PDF collection that enables access at ANY time, no Internet connection or 3G extra bill to pay! I spent $15 for a years subscription to Creative Knitting Magazine which is published 6 times a year. The best part: it comes with 4 ... FOUR years of ARCHIVES that can also be downloaded and that I have full access too! maybe i'm getting old, but the patterns seem a bit more 'realistic' for me and my lifestyle. Granted, there are some that are a bit cheesy - I don't ever see myself knitting tissue covers that look like a slice of cake, or knitting Tori or Rachael a wedding dress or my mother of the bride dress, BUT there are pages and pages of cardigans, summer shells and even shawls or wraps that I think I actually COULD knit and wear... Each pattern comes in multiple sizes, up to 2x and/or 3x, with detailed yarn and needle recommendations. Many of the yarns are in the realistic and affordable range, rather than all the speciality yarns that I could only afford if I mortgaged my house or my family agreed not to eat for a few weeks!  Because it is digital, i can log in and check on things from ANY computer, not just on my iPad ....

Needless to say, I am finding some inspiration to try knitting something other than my safe and predictable scarf.. And am scurrying around gathering coupons like a squirrel in frantic panic over an acorn! A simple cotton/acrylic blend would make a perfect spring/summer sleeveless shell ... Or add some sleeves ... Long or short ... I don't know, but I think I may be feeling a surge of "I think I can!" starting to well up ... (and did i mention that i got a coupon from Michael's that says 50% off your ENTIRE purchase Friday? )


I really like the fact that I can have my knitting patterns tucked discreetly in my purse, ready and bookmarked, not crumpled or missing a page. I can make notes and drawings as i go, just like a paper copy, and yet it will be forever stored for safe keeping. And while this technology seems to be such a new and technologically advanced "novel" idea, the ability for instant "recall" is nothing new. God has made Himself readily available since time began! And throughout the course of time He has given man the very Words of hope, and instruction, and correction and redemption.... Every scenario is covered ... Every instance, every reference, every ANYthing ...

it requires no internet connection and yet was the first 3G ... God - The Father, The Son and the Holy Ghost!

Yet I am always with you;

You hold me by my right hand.
You guide me with Your counsel,
and afterward You will take me into glory.
Ps. 72:23-24

Be strong and courageous.
Do not be afraid or terrified because of them,
for the LORD your God goes with you;
He will never leave you nor forsake you.
Deut. 31:4

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment